Saturday, February 25, 2023

I'm writing this to clarify what I'm looking for. You can read down the following posts and catch up to my quest. I will eventually organize this blog so you can find whatever you're looking for, more easily, on top.

William Laverich married Mary Whittridge in Boston in 1715; the following year William Leverit and Mary Whittridge had a baby Phebee in Boston. Almost all the Whittridges, and the name can be spelled at least a dozen ways, are on the north shore of Boston: Salem, Ipswich, Gloucester, Topsfield, Wenham. A Mary Leverett married a Johnathan Moulton, in Wenham, May 31, 1713; she died in Wenham in 1728. She is listed as his second wife, by the way; he brought three children into the marriage (1700, 1702, and 1712), born before his first wife died, presumably in childbirth. If she brought one child into the marriage that would make more sense, although William would be clearly about ready to leave Wenham anyway.

OK so assuming this is our Mary, born 1674 (I think), full sister to John, she could have moved up to Wenham anytime before 1713, not necessarily when William was young. William I would have to assume was born before 1698, in order to be 17 at his marriage. Mary Whittridge, similarly, would probably be about that age in order to make your usual kind of Puritan situation, where both kids marry young and have a child right away. Naturally I can find no Marys born in 1698 but I haven't checked all 15 spellings of Whittridge.

And the Mary Whitredge who was acquitted in the witch trials remarried Benjamin Proctor; her children Silvester and Prudence dropped from sight, being 4 and 6 when she was thrown in jail, and I don't know if they were raised by the Proctors or what. I can see Prudence (1686) coming to Boston at the age of 29 and marrying William no matter what his age, but there are dozens of Whittridges around so you wouldn't have to rely on one ditching the name Prudence for a more circumspect name. I wouldn't put it past anyone, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minden, Iowa

Today would have been my dad's birthday; James Leverett Jr. would have been 95, but died a few years ago. He was a prolific photographer...