Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Great Leverett

Found it! The Harvard Archivist finally got back to me with a pdf of a chapter of Samuel Eliot Morison's book Three Centuries of Harvard; the chapter is called The Great Leverett, and looks like the manuscript I found and had in my papers.

We had already concluded that it was written by Samel Eliot Morison, because the last sentence had been quoted and attributed to him. I had thought that when I found the encyclopedia that was attributed, I'd have it, but I hadn't really looked for it too hard (still haven't). Nonetheless this appears to be the entire document. It was published in 1936, hardbound, hasn't found its way onto the web yet as it is still proprietary, but I could get the book at the local library.

I find it amazing, actually, what's on the web and what's not, what's proprietary and what's not, what can be found by Google and what can't. There's a line out there. And it's because I write all this stuff here that you can find "The Great Leverett" anywhere.

Fortunately I'm not just making this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minden, Iowa

Today would have been my dad's birthday; James Leverett Jr. would have been 95, but died a few years ago. He was a prolific photographer...