Sunday, June 23, 2024

Jessica Sanford

Back when I lived in Texas (2012-2016), Jessica Sanford called me. She was like my third cousin and lived out in Los Angeles somewhere. She was trying to reach out to extended family and wanted us to know she was out there and still cared. I recognized her name from family genealogy - in fact I had put the genealogy on the web where people could see it - and told her to come to Texas sometime. She claimed she had some connection with Texas as if her father was perhaps from there.

I am redoing some researching that I did a while back on her and her sister Erica but I may have that record around somewhere; it's as unclear now as it was then. First it's not clear whether they are descended from Arthur or Raymond but I do have some people who lived in El Paso for a while. In California, we can find her high school yearbook (Woodrow Wilson High School) but her birth certificate lists only a mother's surname and is very vague. Though they are named Sanford, the father appears to have escaped documentation.

As her friend on Facebook I noticed that she died soon after that call. She was young, born in the eighties, and it's not clear what she died of or why she died so early. When she called I'd told her that I'd be interested in talking to Erica too, but she implied that Erica was in enough trouble that that would be next to impossible. I'm still trying to sort that out and I may not have heard her correctly. If Jessica is dead then Erica is my main connection. I'm interested in piecing together any connection there could have been and reaching out. Third cousins is still family and I have actually pieced together some fourth-cousin friends.

She had an interesting story, I'll guarantee, but I have no idea at this point what it is. She didn't tell me enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will Leverett

I don't know his years, or I'd put them in the title. He was born soon after the Civil War, when his father came back from serving, ...